Easy Design Ideas For Small Spaces
How To Get The Maximum Out Of Your Small Space
Using these simple, effective and easy design ideas for small spaces will help you make the most of your space while still maintaining a spacious look and feel to it.
- Have a unified color scheme. Do not have too many areas with disconnected color or design elements.
- Do not use heavy furniture in a small space. Instead of having sofas and chairs with big, rolled-arms, have sofas with low-profile or straight arms.
- Do not fill the space with too many small furniture items or accessories. They will clutter the room. Instead use a few large pieces of furniture, accessories and art-work. Give a spacious look to the room with the right balance of occupied space to open space.
- Use a glass coffee table to make the space appear airy and light-weight.
See living room designs for more ideas and details.
- If you do not have space for a side table, use a simple shelf. It looks very modern and serves the purpose.
- Instead of a traditional big dresser, use a mirror on the wall along with a small storage cabinet.
- Use a closet system to maximize the space inside.
- If the bedside tables are too small and cannot accommodate table lamps, use scones and swing-arm lamps over the bed.
- Hang the curtains high above the window to make the space appear taller.
Visit bedroom design ideas for more information.
- Do not use too many colors on different elements like cabinets, countertops and appliances. Preferably have a monochromatic color scheme.
- White or light-color scheme is ideal for small kitchens.
- Keeping the kitchen, specially the countertop, less cluttered makes it appear larger.
- Open shelving adds more depth to the space, making the kitchen appear larger. Alternatively have cabinets with glass fronts for the same effect. Just remember to arrange the contents within neatly without cluttering.
- Use mirrored backsplash tiles.
See small kitchen designs for more ideas, information and details.
- Use lighter color schemes for wall and floor tiles.
- Using the same colors on walls and ceiling will make the space appear bigger.
- To create a sense of continuity and a feeling of larger space, use tiles from floor to ceiling.
- Install the shower curtain on the ceiling to make the space look taller.
- Put more shelves in the bedroom closets and kitchen cabinets.
- Though a little inconvenient to use, the shelves and the cabinets can go upto the ceiling to maximize the storage space.
- Create storage in the unused area under the stairs.
By using some of these easy design ideas for small spaces you can make a lot of difference to the overall functionality and aesthetics of your home.
[Via: Washington Post]